FALL RECRUITMENT RESOURCES AND MORE
For years, School Night for Scouting has been a large component of Northern Star’s recruitment strategy. Pack and District volunteers would cover every elementary school in the council on a single night, and our marketing would encourage families to “go to your local elementary school” to meet unit leaders and sign up.
This year, continued fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic continues to challenge that strategy. We’re uncertain about school access to outside groups like Scouting. We can’t expect every school to be available, and that changes our messaging significantly. In response, we’re adapting our message and our methods.
- Flyers and advertisements will not mention September 24th or local schools by default, they will say “sign up online today”
- In Spring 2021, Districts will host 6-7 Community Events: safe, open-house style activities for families interested in Scouting.
- This summer Packs will promote their programs at parades, festivals and outdoor events.
- In the fall, Increased presence at School Open Houses (where available) will be augmented with new Open House kits with activities and recruitment materials.
- We’re increasing our investment in digital advertising including social media, search engine, targeted email, audio streaming and follow-me banner ads
- Enhanced incentives for new Scouts – glow-in-the-dark t-shirt, adventure water bottle and fall day camp voucher.
- New Incentives for new AND returning cub scouts who register by Sept 30th — fishing poles!
- Additional resources for Packs to promote in their local communities (bookmarks, posters, yard signs etc).
- In September and October, every Pack will be asked to host a recruitment “Invite Event” for both their returning and potential new Scouting families. Invite Events can be nature hikes, outdoor games, field trips or other fun Cub adventures. Flyers, digital marketing and social media will help new families find these opportunities.
Scouting’s return comes at a time when families are hungry for opportunities for their kids to socialize. Scouting has a lot to offer families right now, and we commit to inviting every available family to join Scouting.
Every new Cub Scout will receive an adventure waterbottle, a glow-in-the-dark t-shirt and a ticket to FREE fall daycamp! Packs will pick-up an initial set of recruitment incentives at curbside kickoffs August 5th and 10th. Additional sets will be available at the Scout office, from your District Executive, or pickup at the Scout Office.
Fall is our biggest recruitment season and new families are ready to get involved! To support recruitment, we’ve created a variety of materials to help your Pack, Troop or Crew! Packs can request materials to help promote Scouting in your local community through the leaders’ portal on JoinCubs.org. Order bookmarks, posters, yard signs and more! Troops and Crews looking for recruitment materials should contact their District Executive.
Our New online registration system makes it easy for new families to join anytime – year-round, 24/7. Of course, paper applications are still accepted, but the online system makes finding and contacting a unit easy. New families using the joincubs.org system can also connect to scholarships for membership fees.Recruitment Materials Request Form
INFLATABLE ARCHERY RANGE RESERVATION
Did you know we have portable, inflatable, safe archery ranges that can be reserved for your Scouting recruitment event? Please work with the Program Relations Executive in your district for approval and then fill out the following form.Mobile Archery Range Information and Reservation
Please visit the following page for more information (including the manual and range instructions) on this ranges. Mobile Archery Range Page
For More Information, visit the Northern Star Scouting recruitment page2021 Fall Recruiting Page