Are you excited?
THURSDAY is School Night for Scouting!
I hope you are excited as I am for THURSDAY! School Night for Scouting is our biggest opportunity to share the great Scouting program with new families. This is one of my favorite nights, as we introduce new members to the Scouting adventure!
I’m pleased to tell you that each elementary school in the Lake Minnetonka District is covered by a pack, troop, crew, or district volunteer. All the youth in our district will have the opportunity to sign up THURSDAY night between 6PM and 7PM. Your unit Key-3 leaders know which elementary school(s) your unit will be covering.
A couple quick reminders, particularly if this is your first time (or even if it is your 20th time) as you set-up and present at your local school:
Before you leave home
- Wear your uniform
- Make copies of your meeting schedule (pack calendar).
- Make copies of your pack information sheet (1st pack meeting info, pack contacts)
- Make sure pack checkbook will be at SNFS
- Make bright, attractive posters – display things like pinewood derby cards, trophies, etc.
- Be prepared to do the work indoors or out, in case doors are locked
When you arrive at the school
- Actively engage families, but remember, the emphasis is on a sign-and-go opportunity. Parents should be in, register their new Cub Scout, and be out in 30 minutes or less. Hint: Have small activities to keep the youth occupied, while the parents are completing the paperwork.
- Fees to join Scouting are $44 for a membership until December 31, 2019 and an additional $16 for a monthly subscription to Boys’ Life magazine
- For Lions – use the standard application, just write LION on the top of the form and put K in the grade. Lion parents who are acting just as the parent/guardian (they are not the Lion guide and are not serving as a leader in the Pack) are not required to have a separate adult application.
After 7PM, once you’ve signed up the Scouts and there are no more potentials coming in (use your best judgment), bring everything in to the turn in site. The turn-in site is at the Minnetonka Community Center (Minnetonka Mills Room), 14600 Minnetonka Blvd, Minnetonka, MN 55345 and will be open from 6pm to 10pm. map
At the turn-in site, please be sure to have
- Youth Applications (Signature of the Parent/Guardian and Unit Leader/Designee)
- Adult Applications (Social Security number, Signature of the Charter Org Rep and Comm Chair)
- Checkbook or Check to be filled out at turn-in (we’ll review the final amount when you arrive)
- Determine the sizes of the cub scout t-shirts you will pick up
- Pick up your voucher for a free half day at Fall Day Camp
If you have any questions, need supplies, or have concerns through the night, please contact Vicki Jurek or one of the Key-5. We’ll either be able to answer your questions over the phone or send someone to you to assist.
We’re all here and this a great night for Scouting in Lake Minnetonka.
District Vice Chair